Latvian National Opera and Ballet
Riga's White House — the Latvian National Opera and Ballet
on Aspazijas bulvāris was opened in 1923; an average of six new productions are presented each year, retaining balance between opera and ballet. In total, the opera sees over 200 performances and several symphonic and chamber music concerts a season.
The very beginning of opera performances in Latvia can be traced back to the 18th century when the first musical shows were staged in the Duchy of Courland and the first travelling opera troupes appeared in Riga. In 1782, Town German Theater was opened where drama theatre, opera and ballet performances were held. The famous German composer Richard Wagner worked there for a few years.
The origin of Latvian opera dates back to 1912, with establishing of Latvian opera under Pāvuls Jurjāns; however, the Latvian National Opera troupe first performed with Richard Wagner's “The Flying Dutchman” in the present Opera House only on 23 Jan 1919.
In the 1990s, the opera house underwent a large-scale reconstruction and restoration of the interior, highlighting the original decorations and matching the new interior of premises to them. The construction was finished in 2001, with a new, complex building for technical and creative staff and the New Hall with 300 seats where a wide range of art projects were finished.
Distance from Residence: 1km