Park Inn by Radisson Luxembourg City Hotel

Avenue de la Gare 45-47 1611 Luxembourg Luxembourg +352 26 89 18 1
Check-in Date
Check-out Date
Rooms
1
Adults
Children

Casemates

Any visit to Luxembourg is not complete without visiting the casemates. Belonging to the UNESCO World Heritage, the first underground tunnels were built in 1644 in the era of the Spanish domination. The 23-kilometer-long galleries were enlarged only 40 years later by Vauban, the French military engineer and fortress builder, and again in the 18th century by the Austrians. The subterranean defensive passages were placed on different levels and reached down as far as 40 meters. It is these impressive defence works that conferred Luxembourg the name of “Gibraltar of the North”.

After the dismantling of the fortress in 1867, 17 kilometers of the casemates were spared and left in good condition. Since 1933, the Bock and Pétrusse casemates have been open to the public. The Pétrusse casemates are accessible via Constitution Square, while the Bock casemates are located in the north-eastern part of Luxembourg City's old historical district and are easily accessible by foot.