Ulriksdal Palace, Stockholm
Ulriksdal Palace (or Ulriksdal Castle) is proudly sits on the banks of Edviken in the National City Park in Solna district of Stockholm. The palace was built in the 1600’s and was originally called Jakobsdal after its first owner.
The Royal Palace has served many who have had a strong influence on palace over the years. The interior decoration of Ulriksdal Palace spans from 1600s to the 1900s, which is evident upon visiting.
Originally the building was in the Renaissance style, but its exterior has been transformed several times, and the present appearance of the building dates from the first half of the 18th century.
Queen Kristina’s love for Ulriksdal Palace was underlined by her request that the coronation coach should begin its journey here. The reconstruction of the Coronation Coach with the six white horses is available for viewing at the stable in the grounds of Ulriksdal Palace.
The Orangery Museum
Queen Dowager Hedvig Elenora commissioned an Orangery to be built during a time where citrus fruit was expensive in Sweden. Today, the greenhouse which stands in the grounds of Ulriksdal Palace is the Orangery Museum. Along with historic shrubs and trees, the orangery houses the Swedish sculpture collection from the Swedish National Museum. These sculptures include work from Johan T. Sergel and Carl Milles, and originate from the 1700s to the 1900s.
The palace, Orangery and the Coronation Coach as well as the surrounding park can be viewed by the public during the summer months when guided tours are also available.
When visiting Stockholm, Solna is the ideal place to stay. The Park Inn by Radisson Solna is located just 10 minutes from central Stockholm. This Solna Hotel
is located nearby Ulriksdal Palace and the beautiful surrounding gardens, and other Stockholm attractions.